(Source: THISDAY LIVE)
Notwithstanding the protest against the closure of sale of forms for University Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) by prospective students, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Sunday insisted that there is no going back on the closure.
Prospective students were said to have barricaded JAMB offices in Lagos and Benin while protesting against the decision of the board to close the sale of forms.
But in a statement, JAMB Head of Media and Information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, explained that the board could not afford to sell UTME forms one week to the start of the examination.
“The attention of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has been drawn to the protest by some alleged UTME candidates in Benin and Lagos.
“The candidates were said to be protesting over the closure of the Board’s registration portal in preparation for the 2016 Examination which is due to begin in less than a week from today.
“The board sincerely sympathizes with the plight of these prospective candidates and states that it’s the wish of the Board that Nigerian youth desirous of tertiary education are giving ample opportunity to register for its examination. This was why it began the sale of its application document last year August, that is about seven months ago.”
Benjamin stated: “In the advertisement for the sale of the registration documents, the Board clearly stated that the sales would close by January, but due to public appeal it extended the registration process to February.
“It’s imperative to disclose that the closure was also to allow the Board to prepare adequately for the examination slated for the end of February. The Board cannot allow candidates to register perpetually.”